Protecting Your Golden Years

With more than 40 years of experience

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Estate Planning
  4.  → Conservatorships And Guardianships

We Can Help You Protect Your Loved Ones

“I see it. My brothers and sisters see it. Mom can’t safely take care of herself anymore, but she refuses to let anyone help and can’t be reasoned with. Is there anything we can do to protect her?”

When the aging process robs a person of his or her ability to think clearly and rationally, family members are confronted with a difficult question: How do I protect this person without causing undue harm to his or her dignity and pride, and to our mutual relationship? As much as you might not want to, it may be time to speak with an experienced estate planning lawyer about legal conservatorship and guardianship option.

At Hodges Law Firm, LLC, in Cumming, we have more than 40 years of experience helping clients provide safeguards for loved ones who can no longer care for their own selves. We know this isn’t the easiest issue to address, but we are here to help your family get the peace of mind that comes from doing just that and to make sure that your loved one is protected.

How To Establish Guardianships And Conservatorships In Georgia

If the loved one you’re concerned about did not have a financial or health care power of attorney in place prior to becoming incapacitated, it will be necessary to establish a conservatorship or guardianship in probate court.

A conservatorship or guardianship allows you to provide oversight of a loved one’s finances and health care when he or she lacks the cognitive function to do so himself or herself (a common occurrence with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease). Georgia probate courts also appoint guardians for minors and adults who are otherwise considered incompetent to manage their own affairs for other reasons, such as Down syndrome.

A conservatorship gives you the legal authority to manage the estate and finances of an incapacitated adult or minor possessing or receiving money. A guardian is responsible for all personal affairs of the incapacitated adult or minor, including the power to make decisions regarding health care and living arrangements.

Discuss Your Case With A Lawyer. Free Consultations.

Whether you want to establish conservatorship and guardianship, challenge the appointment of a guardian or conservator, or seek the removal of an unfit guardian or conservator in probate court litigation, our law firm can help.

Contact us online or by telephone at 678-608-1746, toll-free at 678-608-1746 to speak with an experienced Atlanta-area lawyer about your concerns here today.

All Major Credit Cards Accepted